Most people, gain 5 to 7 pounds during the holiday season between Thanksgiving and Christmas. The scary thing about this fact is that most tend to keep the weight they gain. One of the simplest ways to negate weight gain is to employ some easy cleansing rituals throughout holiday season.
1. Activated charcoal. Skip fancy body-detox cleansing kits. Instead get activated charcoal capsules and take 2 upon rising (or if you happen to wake up in the middle of the night especially after heavy partying) with a warm glass of water. It removes many waste products that clog up your digestive system. The key to the regiment is to withhold eating food for at least 60 minutes after taking the charcoal capsules (that is why taking activated charcoal supplements in the middle of the night or early mornings is the best).
2. Water with lemon. Drink water upon rising, throughout the day and before going to bed. The best way to drink water is at room temperature. Lemon provides vitamin C for support of your immune system, cleansing and keeping your body’s pH neutral.
3. Probiotics. Take probiotic supplements. Trillions of bacteria involved in digestive, immune and metabolic health populate your gut. To optimize health, it is important to take either probiotic supplements or have a diet rich in kefir, yogurt (without added sugars), sauerkraut or kombucha drinks. In my opinion, high quality probiotic supplements are the way to go in our pressed-for-time age.
4. Rub a dub dub. A warm shower with simple exfoliation, using a wash-cloth, is simple yet effective way to detox, relax, feel and look good. While morning showers have been a staple in American culture, it is more important to take a shower before bed-time. Night showers are not only good for distressing and relaxation but they help with chronic allergies by removing pollutants and allergens from the surface of your skin and nasal passages (if you blow your nose and let water irrigate them by tilting your head back).
5. Sleep. The biggest detoxifier is sleep. There are few ways to improve your sleep quality—make sure your room is completely dark as your body is at its optimal melatonin production–hormone produced by the brain to regulate sleep and wake cycles . When body is at rest it has time to metabolize, reset and re-regulate its processes.
Holidays are fun but don’t compromise your health by overindulging. Your health is your biggest wealth. Keep your body well and pounds at bay by these simple detox strategies. Healthy. Happy. And Well.