Once upon a time, I was attending an aesthetic medicine certification training and happened to have an in-depth conversation with an ophthalmologist about the importance of quality sunglasses.
Why do you need sunglasses? Besides elevating our style, sunglasses are to protect our eyes from the real threat of damaging ultraviolet rays and glare.
But not all sunglasses are created equal, and most are actually bad for you. Any sunglasses will make you subjectively feel more comfortable in the sunlight.
But unless you have the right type of sunglasses, wearing they can create more harm than good. Shade produced by sunglasses widens your pupil. The wider the pupil, the more light gets into the back of the eye. If the sunglasses are not equipped at filtering all of the damaging rays, it allows them to hit the retina.
Why is it bad for you? Because, while the cells in our skin regenerate, the cells in our retina do not—what you get at birth stay with you until you die.
There are different types of UV rays. Sunglasses that you find in most of the stores can only protect your eyes from UVA rays and horizontal glare. However, they typically will not protect against ALL other damaging ultraviolet rays and glare. Also, many traditional sunglasses mismanage blue light, also called HEV radiation. Blue light is needed to see a balance of color.
Recent studies suggest that blue light might also contribute to retinal damage and lead to macular degeneration.
This is why my ophthalmologist friend was advocating for the right sunglasses, his top choice being Maui Jim. Compared to other sunglasses, Maui Jim sunglasses maximize your visual potential while providing state-of-the-art protection to your most precious asset–your eyes.
Top 5 why I am a Maui Jim sunglasses convert
1) they provide protection and comfort that surpasses traditional sun wear.
2) their patented PolarizedPlus®2 technology blocks all three types of glare (direct/horizontal, reflective, and bounce back) plus blocks 100% of UV rays up to 400 nanometers.
3) their technology also manages blue light by blocking harmful rays while at the same time enhancing the positive blue rays needed for color balance.
4) & Maui Jim PolarizedPlus®2 technology enhances color saturation and depth, providing a better visual comfort for the wearer.
5) they help to eliminate eye strain, squinting, and the feeling of being overpowered by glare, thereby providing a comfortable outdoor visual experience.
Since I learned the science behind sunglasses lenses, Maui Jim is the only brand I wear and I recommend you do the same. When you purchase any Maui Jims, you know that all of their sunglasses are created to protect your eyes.
Over the years, I have bought at least 5 pairs (because I lose them). My latest one has leopard print handles (Frame Color: Black Gloss w/Tokyo Tort Tmpl), with lens color Blue Hawaii and lens Material: Maui Brilliant. I absolutely adore these sunglasses. So comfortable and make me feel like a spy ;). But most importantly, these sunglasses protect my eyes.